A Call to God's People to Pray
Jeremiah 33:3 says... "Call to Me and I will answer you and I will show you
great and mighty things which you do not know."
J. Oswald Sanders once wrote...."Prayer does not fit us for the greater work; Prayer IS is the greater work".
Well, as believers we know this to be true. Nothing gets accomplished without much prayer. Every missionary family needs a team of committed prayer warriors lifting them and the work up to the throne of grace. It is a calling in and of itself.
We would ask you to join with us and pray for this ministry, our family and the people of Manila and the Philippines. Ask the Lord for great and mighty things. Enter boldly before Him which is our right as adopted children of God and even a command of the Lord.
Pray without ceasing and trust His truth and sovereignty in the gospel of life and salvation to be unavoidable and effective in the hearts and lives of the Filipino people. Pray for the churches to develop trained leaders who are effective in preaching truth and proclaiming the gospel.
- Pray for the upcoming school year at BBSI where I have been asked to take on 2 new courses, The Missionary & Ministry and Apologetics, plus my standard Biblical Hermeneutics (5th time) and Missions and the Book of Acts (2nd time).
- Balikbayan Box is on its way! - We are praising the Lord for supporters of training resources for our Ministry Enrichment Seminar at EBC (ME Seminar). Over the last 4 months, supporters have donated 22 copies each of the Holman NKJV Study Bible, Spiritual Depression by Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, and Nine Marks of a Healthy Church by Dr. Mark Dever. A huge thank you from the Clarks as well as the pastors of Emmanuel Baptist. Scheduled delivery of the box is May 13th!
- Pray for Kim as she will be serving at Faith Academy in more of a part-time role in High School Algebra 2, but we are in negotiations to help meet a need in mathematics at BBSI in a General Mathematics class. Pray that we will be able to match up the timing for the classes and also the expectations for the coursework. This is a unique opportunity for her to get to know our Filipino high school students at the institute and meet the school shortfall in staff at least for this year.
- EBC Preachers' Coalition - Every Monday night the 5 pastors that serve at Emmanuel Baptist in preaching ministry come together to encourage one another and resource one another in improving their skills and calling for preaching God's Word. We focus on topics of expository sermon prep and delivery with hope that we will all become more skilled and approved workmen of the Word. We have a FB page that we use to communicate and encourage one another. They invited our missionary colleague and Asia-Pacific Director Steve Mayo (who lives and serves mostly in Sydney, Aus) to be on that FB page too in order for them to receive encouragement from him as well!
- Pray for me as I begin to work with Emmanuel Baptist more regularly as a Sunday school teacher among young professional and college student EBCers. I am "tag-team-teaching" this with Brother Yutaka. WE are now studying through the study booklet, Foundations of the Faith, by Dr. John MacArthur.
- Praise the Lord for His provision for another place to live. After a year here in this subdivision in the hills above BBSI and Faith Academy, we will now live in a house in the valley and cover for a furloughing missionary family, Simon & Joedel Pietschmann, who serve with a German mission agency here in Manila and must go to Germany for a full year. It is a good move and good timing for us. We will try and move as soon as they leave on June 4th. We must finish that move by our departure June 14 for CA and then Jason & Kenna's wedding on June 23rd. Please be in prayer for us as we make this critical move.
- Praise for Kim' 5th year of service here at Faith Academy! On the books she was part-time, but who reads the books! She was working way beyond full time in an effort to help her students overcome their barriers and weak study habits. Some have made huge turnarounds, while others are emerging out of the tunnels they themselves created by not doing homework. Pray for Kim as she finishes up this school year in HS math (Algebra 2 & Geometry).
For the Philippine Nation
The Philippines is one of the most natural disaster prone countries in the world.
Natural disasters have been overwhelming the nation lately.
Could the Lord be using these to turn their hearts truly towards Him?
The island nation has so much potential for Christ, but its citizens are steeped in Catholic teachings that lead people contrary to the gospel.
The country claims 80% Catholic, but idolatry, superstitions and false teaching are rampant.
Pray according to Psalm 97:1, "The Lord reigns, let the earth rejoice; Let the many islands be glad".
Salvation in Christ Alone
The above photo is taken at the time of Panata.
This event occurs the night before Good Friday and signifies devotion to God through a pilgrimage, doing things to appease God's wrath or to gain a blessing.
Many do it as families and in groups. Many too carry their statues of Mary or the crucified Christ up to Anitpolo Church, right by our seminary's gate. See the Panata Zone page for more details
Pray according to John 8:32, "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free".
Training & Establishing of New Church Leaders
Filipinos are spear-heading new church plants and leading churches, but they need help to become established as strong, Bible-teaching congregations.
The job of ministry in the Philippines is far from completed.
Leaders need to be trained in every church.
Pray according to 2 Timothy 2:2, "The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be abel to teach others also. "